Monday, October 29, 2007

Hotbed of creativity

Okay, growing up in a small Idaho town whose claim to fame is that it was the territorial capital of Idaho before those bastards in Boise stole it from us doesn't really say "creative cauldron." I mean, we have BELT SANDER RACES for the love of god! Well, despite all the pressures at the contrary, some glittering flashes of creativity do erupt occasionally. One being myself, of course, but even more so is Bryan Fuller, the writer of three amazing tv shows, two of which (Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me) met an untimely demise due to their quirky nature and stupid network executives. Well, he's back with a new show about a guy who has the power to touch a dead body and it comes back to life, but if he touches them again, they're dead forever. I can't say this with enough conviction: WATCH "PUSHING DAISIES!" 1) It's great, 2) Any show that has the audacity to name the pie shop the main character runs the "Pie Hole" should be rewarded, and 3) We all should support well-written, quirky television writing that (and I can't overemphasize this point too much) IS NOT REALITY TV!!!!! But don't take my word for it. Below is a review in today's paper about Pushing Daisies:

In the spirit of saving the best for last, the time has come to throw down some serious love for ABC's completely bizarre, deeply enjoyable and unexpectedly moving "Pushing Daisies." There are precisely no reasons why a heavily stylized paranormal romantic dramedy whose episodes revolve around crime-solving should work. Except for that it does. Beautifully.

This tale of a pie-maker whose touch can restore life--with major caveats, including the second touch that kills permanently--and the woman he loves but can never touch seems far too precious and far too complicated. But it's not. The gruff private detective keeps things grounded, even as the narration (by "Harry Potter" audio book voice Jim Dale) gives it all a storybook glow.

Get into the show's rhythm and eventually its mind-bending mythology recedes, giving way to a larger story about the mysteries and joys of life, and the importance of engaging in them even when it's easier to slip through without touching anything or anyone.

You can live a whole life without ever making the leap. But a whole other life awaits on the other side. Four weeks in, "Pushing Daisies" is building its own sweet, colorful place there, too."


Just watch it!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

On April 18, 2007, MGM announced that they are developing several direct-to-DVD movies and sequels. Included among them is a brand new film based on Dead Like Me.[11] The movie is to be set two years after the last series episode

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's a cute show and the two main characters are adorable. I like that part of the show (the rom-com part, and love triangle part) much more than the mystery part of the show. But still a very original idea for television, which is rare. On the down side, it always leaves me wanting pie, however. That's a negative. sort of.

The review you posted may have been more persuasive if there weren't so many spelling mistakes. Weird, right?

Jeremy said...

How embarassing. I fixed the spelling mistakes--that's what I get for typing while looking at a newspaper article, then not clicking spell check.

Anonymous said...

I have watched it since episode one and have mixed feelings.

Cons:

It feels contrived at points.

Feels like they are trying way to hard to be quirky.

The writing is so-so to me.

Not all the charters are fully developed.

I keep feeling like they are going to touch each other.

Don't like the voice overs - way to Desperate House WIves.

Pros:

Love the pie makers co-worker - she is great - reminds me of Amy Sadaris on crack :)

I can tevo it in High Def! (yes this is a plus!)

Filmed really well

Okay so I have way more cons than pro's but Im still recording and watching it in hopes my opinion might change... Im loving Ugly Betty though!

Jeremy said...

I agree with the comment about feeling like they're going to touch each other... even to the point of making me a little nervous every time they're in close proximity to one another. I mean, how easy would it be to accidentally brush up against her? Easy, I tell you.

Anonymous said...

I talked to the writer and executive producers mom just the other night and she was trying to make sure that I was watching her sons show, and I tried to tell her that my brothers were faithful followers of the show and we would stay strong!!!!

Anonymous said...

I brush up against women all the time Jeremy, especially ones that have risen from the dead ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Jeremy! I thought you cut and pasted the article so I was trying to make a point about the bad editing job of the paper. I wasn't trying to talk sh** about your spelling.

Also, I think it's a pro (and the whole point of the show) that you are worrying about them touching each other. This way, you can never undo the sexual tension. That being said, I haven't watched any episodes since you posted this entry on your blog. I really have too many shows!

Anonymous said...

So I got the kids to bed, left the kitchen in a mess etc etc (boring huh?) and rushed down to see the show at last and lo and behold the CMAs are on...We should seriously invest in peroxide - there must be a dearth in the south 'cause they are all shiny bright blonde- never seen so much big hair...(includes men) I may be a little jealous- and I am also now worrying about the whole wanting pie afterwards thingy. But I need a show I can get addicted too- I'm out of the loop this year and really far behind in the addiction stakes! I feel a little hard done by...
ber