Monday, October 24, 2005

This past weekend, the gang here in Portland went to the inagural roller derby match and it was CRAZY and totally Portland. It gives you some idea at what kind of demographic they expected to attract when the primary sponsor was Pabst Blue Ribbon. Someone from my work is on the "Guns and Rollers" team, which is how we heard about it. The day before the match, Margaret and I decided to don costumes with an 80's rocker theme (since we were rooting for Guns and Rollers). Margaret wore this crazy top and a red wig that together made her into a cross between Little Nakita and Pat Benetar. I found the coolest cowboy shirt at a vintage shop, and ended up wearing it--(so much for the 80's theme!) But you should have seen the shirt in all it's gawdy glory! If you've seen Back to the Future II, you'll remember the ridiculous "Western" outfit that the 1940's professor gets for Marty (with the red and white shirt, and fringe). Well, this shirt didn't have fringe, but it was brown and tan satin and had embroidered six-shooters on the cuffs, spurs on the collar, and calves on the upper chest. I think I'll wear it to next year's Pendleton Round-Up and hope I don't get beat up!

Anyway, back to the roller derby--I had no idea what to expect, or even what a roller derby was, exactly. I did know that it could be quite violent (my coworker came to work last Friday with stitches on her cheek!) After a few quarters, we kind of got a feel for the game, and boy was it unlike anything I'd seen before! The whole point of the game if for one person on each team to try and pass up the pack of people from both teams that are trying to hinder the opposite team's person and help their own teammember. The violence comes from pushing people so they veer off into the crowd, crash, or, the best, create a massive dogpile. The classic stereotypes were all represented: the slutty scorecard girl, scantily clad contestants, constant sexual inuendo of the announcer, etc. etc. We saw a couple of fights near the end, which were quite exciting--so exciting, in fact, that I almost lost my voice yelling so loud. What is it about a fight, and especially a fight between women, that is so mesmerizing--and when it gets broken up, you feel a little disappointment that it didn't last longer.

I don't think we'll make the roller derby a regular event for our social schedule, but if you happen to hear about one in your neck of the woods, I would highly recommend it, not only for the entertainment value of the teams, but also to watch the sleazy hipsters, drunk rednecks, and butch lesbians all together cheering on the ladies of the roller rink.

1 comment:

Brent K said...

I imagine I would have laughed my guts out. Just reading your description made me chuckle. I don't think we have roller derby in my neck of the woods though.