Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fresh out of the oven



Here she is, fresh out of the oven. You just combine 2 lbs. of sugar, 2 tablespoons spice, and 80 lbs. of panic, worry, anxiety, and frantic nursery remodeling everything nice, bake at 98.6ยบ for nine months, and voila! you got yourself a little girl.

Actually, the picture is of a recent weigh-in we did on Lucy, who we just KNEW had gotten bigger. I mean some of her onesies we could only snap the middle button at the crotch. (And fortunately her bulky diapers prevented them from turning into a baby thong--and that look is so 2005.) Anyway, the most accurate scale we have is a digital kitchen scale, but the scale part is too small to balance a baby on, but when we put a baking sheet down to support her, the readout turned out to be too close to the actual scale part to be able to read the weight. Well, with a glass casserole, our problem was solved! And despite the fact that it looks like we're prepping her to put into the oven, we got a weight on our little not-so-little girl.

On another note, we've officially gotten used to having Ikea close to us. Yesterday we went there for, wait for it... wait for it... JAM. Yes, the store that we once planned meticulously for, pouring over the catalog for weeks, renting vehicles to accommodate our purchases, taking an entire day to drive to Seattle and back for, has now been reduced to a quick stop in to buy a couple jars of food. (Although we did get some meatballs for lunch, so it wasn't JUST for jam.) I guess it's like that old adage that people will travel 1,500 miles to go to the temple when that's the closest one, but they build one in their hometown and they just take it for granted and never go.

And finally, speaking of Ikea, I still feel like I'm in Norway with the embarrassingly long paternity leave that my work offers. I got the first month after Lucy was born completely off, will work one day per week through July, and then three-day-workweeks for another two months. While not EXACTLY Scandinavian-benefits length (Sweden gets 18 months off), it's WAY more than the other guys in our childbirth education class got--most of whom got 2 to three weeks off. And boy let me tell you, I could get used to this one-day work week REAL FAST! (Although not so used to it to have another baby anytime soon.)

6 comments:

sonya d said...

So many comments about this posting... where do I begin?

First, I am dying laughing about your weighing method. I'm not at all surprised that you went to so much trouble to weigh her. It brings to mind a story I heard many years ago when you found a computer monitor in a closet and you pulled it out in the middle of the night and hooked it up to cable so that you could watch Star Trek while the other people in the house were asleep.

Second, awesome paternity leave! My brother in law got one week. I'm sure people at my work get nothing(but we do get 4-6 weeks of vacation). So to hear that some people get three weeks is pretty amazing to me. And is it true that Scandinavians get 18 months of paternity leave? I'm a fan of it but that seems pretty amazing. And by amazing I mean even this Democrat in the social services thinks it could be too much.

sonya d said...

btw, yes, that Star Trek story took place in norway. otherwise, why would you have to hide that you were watching TV?

Tracy said...

You watched TV in Norway!? I think my testimony is shaken....

I wonder if Hal was ever offered paternity leave, he never told me he had it....

Anonymous said...

I can't beLIEVE you forgot to add the Chemical X. No wonder she doesn't have any superpowers.

-Guess Who?

Anonymous said...

SHe has grown expontentially- Margaret has the chemical x flowing through her!

Anonymous said...

No surprise Lucy is growing. Have you seen Margaret lately? Let's just say she has huge tracks of land..... (see MP Reference)