Sunday, June 01, 2008

Relief Society v2.0

Being outside of Zion©, most of our friends aren't Mormon. While this has its definite advantages, it also has its share of drawbacks. And I'm not just talking about having to be the designated driver 100% of the time. Back in Utah, when someone has a baby, the Relief Society steps in and provides meals for the new family for a couple of weeks. Knowing this, one of our friends organized a similar meal drive for us and boy has it exceeded anything that our prior experience would have prepared us for. Growing up, when the Relief Society brought by food, it was basics like lasagna, meatloaf, or the like. Well, imagine our surprise when we started getting meals like the following:
  • Lamb stew with braised fingerling potatoes, creamy fennel soup, and sourdough bread

  • Falafel, tabouli, fresh pita bread, and roasted vegetables

  • Southern-style beans and rice with fresh-from-the-farmers'-market green salad

  • Salmon steaks with fresh green beans, garden salad, and ambrosia salad

  • Meatballs stewed in a cranberry sauce and GIGANTIC brownies

  • Grilled turbot with harvest grains, heirloom tomatoes, and fresh apricots and cherries

And I'm not exaggerating. In fact, I'm erring on the side of NOT exaggerating. I swear, at the end of this paternity leave, I'm going to be 15 lbs. heavier. I can't believe how fortunate we've been with great friends here in town. (And if you're one of the providers of this bounty, THANK YOU!)

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Paternaty Leave?!

My husband missed two of my deliveries all together, and a coule times he was off to work the next day leaving me to fend for myself with one more child etc.

Oh wait, you live in a "liberal" state.

sonya d said...

Well, Im not surprised. But you have to remember that we (mormons) have to provide meals all the time, so we have to stick with the basics. In my ward, there is an announcement literally every week of someone who has just given birth or someone that is newly pregnant. We can't do fancy meals for these people every week. but, I'm curious ... are all these meals prepared at home or take out? I could go for some lamb stew right now!

Margaret said...

To be fair - some of our fine meals have come from Mormons. Our ward is really small though and new babies are as rare as feminists at BYU. In fact, "" may be based on our ward.

Gui said...

what ward do y'all live in? my wife and i may want to move there.