Monday, July 21, 2008

What! No Obsession for Baby by Calvin Klein?


Can you believe this product? I can't even imagine why someone would use this. If your baby didn't smell fresh, shouldn't you actually WASH her rather than cover up the smell? I can imagine some harried parent getting ready to take the baby out and gets a whiff of a rancid poopy diaper and some soured milk that seems to have hidden in the nooks of the baby's neck. This parent, pressed for time, just thinks, "I don't have time for THIS! I'll just give Alexandria a little spritz of this baby cologne and no one will be the wiser. Plus, I want her smelling her best, because Atticus will be at the play date and I want to be sure those two hit it off!" Jeesh!


And speaking of babies, is the term "buddy" limited to boys? The other day, Lucy, dressed in a green outfit, was sitting in her stroller and the checker, thinking she was a boy, said, "How you doing buddy?" When we corrected him, he later referred to her as "Sweetie." The gender-role stereotype land mines are all over the place, aren't they?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always get her a t-shirt like I used to have that said "I'm not a boy!"

Tracy said...

I told you that would happen.

However, my husband refers to all the kids as "buddy".

CCinPDX said...

AP Newswire 07/22/08: Local Hawthorne resident, Jeremy AKA, Super Hero Dad continues is fight, breaking clearly oppressive gender stereotypes installed over the millennia, one stereotype at a time. When asked about his vigilante cause by AP Newswire, he summarized his battle saying: "I don't care if my daughter can only comprehend shapes and speaks in screams, these injustices must be righted!".