Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rock Bottom



Well, I've got the unfortunate news that I, too, know that I've hit rock bottom. Of course, I haven't woken up with my face in a urinal, but it's just as bad. Gather round, internets, and listen, for never was such a tale of woe. As any reader of this blog could surmise, Diet Coke/Pepsi is a fundamental aspect of my persona. I can easily down the fabled 96 oz. "Bladder Busters" of Utah fame in the same time that it takes a mere mortal to drink 32 oz. Of course this super power does come with a severe side effect: caffeine addiction. I've tried weaning myself off it time and again, but Diet Coke is a cruel mistress who demands obeisance several times a day... and preferably in at least 32 oz. amounts. Well, Margaret and I have been talking about getting off the stuff, particularly since I've been experiencing some heart issues that may or may not be related to consuming the equivalent of 12 cups of coffee a day. I was convinced of it on an intellectual level, but every caffeinated fiber of my being wouldn't let me.

Okay, fast forward to this weekend, where we were driving home from a trip on a Sunday. We stopped at McDonald's for a wholesome breakfast, including a Diet Coke. Well, after getting back home and having to rush to church, and then not leaving the house after getting back, that turned out to be the ONLY Diet Coke I had all day. The Olympics closing ceremony distracted me from the slight twinge beginning to form in my brain, and I thought that if I slept it off, I'd have gotten a LITTLE closer to falling away from the path of caffeination. Well, around 1 or 2 in the morning, I woke up with a splitting headache. The caffeine level in my system had reached critical levels, like down to 0.08% or something. I went to the kitchen, but alas, no pop to be found. I went to the medicine cabinet to get some Tylenol, to at least help with the headache. Then, sitting innocently on the shelf, sat the solution I craved, despite the fact that it would truly be making me hit rock bottom. I saw the magic words on a pill bottle: acetaminophen and caffeine... on a bottle of, wait for it... wait for it... MIDOL! I didn't hesitate for a second, I just took one then and there. Of course as I was swallowing the bitter little pill, the picture at the top of this post was emblazoned in my mind. There I was, knowing that I'd hit rock bottom. But on a more positive note, I wasn't bloated, either, so I guess it wasn't ALL bad.

4 comments:

sonya d said...

I know this only too well. I have experienced the caffeine withdrawal headache and it is a force to be reckoned with. Every attempt I have made to get off the junk is thwarted after about 12 hours and one stressful meeting.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they have support groups for the caffeine addicts? They have them for alcoholics, sexaholics, drug addicts, gambling addicts, ect. I think a caffeine-aholic would fit nicely. I can see it now: Hello my name is Jeremy FiveCrows and I haven't taken a sip of diet pepsi in two days......

Tracy said...

When my mom was taking the discussions, and was supposed to stop smoking, I said I would quit caffeine in support. I was grouchier than she was..... I stayed away from the stuff a little longer than she did too, but not much. I keep going back for one bottle a day.. I have quit 3 times I think..... sigh

Deb said...

That picture is hilarious! I'm glad that you didn't really end up with your face in a urinal! See you guys soon!