Monday, February 05, 2007

Shopping trauma

I have been slowing degrading my wardrobe at work from shirt and tie to jeans and tanktop button-up shirt. Unfortunately I have only one pair of jeans that were professional enough to get away with wearing at work. As such, I wore them almost every day each week, which quickly wore them out. I couldn't wear them with a good conscience anymore... or at least get away with avoiding any evaluations of my dress code. So yesterday, I decided to find a replacement pair of jeans for work. I had no idea how hard it was going to be to find jeans that weren't "pre-distressed" past the point of wear than the ones I was replacing. If I was looking for jeans with holes, paint spatters, bleach stains, or frayed edges, I could find them at almost every store (for about $100 or more for this valuable destructive service.) After trying on 20 or more jeans in six different stores and being completely traumatized, I finally settled on a pair that I'm okay with. What ever happened to the day when there were only a few brands to choose from, they were presentable at work, and they cost less than a car payment? I guess they ended with the California gold rush.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hubby, discovered that JCPenney has custom jeans (he's hard to fit, I guess) and they are less than $100, however you end up waiting a while for them. He got his and thinks they are good enough to wear to work on "Casual Friday" (This is saying a lot since his normal wear is french cuff shirts and Brooks Brother's dress pants. Which is the "uniform" for investment bankers).