Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Social niceties

Do you ever see sights that are so unusual you just want to pull up a lawn chair and watch as the drama unfolds but are prevented from even a lingering stare thanks to the cruel mistress "Politeness?" This morning, while at Noah's Bagels (of course), I could see a woman sit down on the sidewalk table and carefully pull a Beanie Baby dog out of her bag. When Margaret and I left the shop, we walked by the woman, by now in a conversation with her polyester friend. I so wanted to listen in on the conversation, but alas, social convention prevented my eavesdropping. Now I may never know what kinds of secrets some who talks to stuffed animals shares with her toys.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hey! There is a guy that wanders around town her with what looks like one of those walkers that you can use as a shopping cart, and the dog he carries around with him is either a large stuffed (and stiff) animal, or maybe his taxidermied friend from an age past. I have never dared to get close enough to find out (social appropriateness and all, plus I am usually in the car when I see him).