Tuesday, September 04, 2007

No pockets? No problem!

A couple weeks back we went to the Adult Soapbox derby here in Portland and saw this guy. I guess it shows how creative beer drinkers can be. If you don't have pockets or a special hat that hold beer, then what better place than in your skin-tight satin shorts to stick your bottle of beer? (And thankfully he stuck it in the back, rather than the front... that would be a little too conspicuous.)

Speaking of beer, I remember one time in Norway, it was fashionable for the missionaries to drink non-alcoholic beer with people investigating the church (but before they'd been told that they would have to give up drinking Devil Water). Well, one of my companions was offered what he thought was non-alcoholic beer, as the label said "Lett Øl" (øl means "beer" in Norwegian). After drinking about half of it, the guy pointed out that "lett" translates to "light" rather than "fake" and that he was really drinking the equivalent of Bud Light. Oops. That'll teach him to slack off in language class!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must be an elder thing. I never drank fake beer with members or investigators. In fact, I was never offered fake beer, except one time... by an elder.

Anonymous said...

I never had fake beer or light beer on the mission either. I feel so cheated...

Jeremy said...

Now I'm insulted. Evidently they were only offering the "fire water" to the Indian!

CCinPDX said...

After they offered you "fire water", did you sign away significant portions of the Reservation to Norwegian land speculators?

Tracy said...

I had drunk guys spit at me, hit on me, but they weren't elders. Remeber where the chapel was in Kristiansand? Above the liquor store and next door to a bar....

I did have elders offer me rum flavored cinnamon rolls... Oh wait that was a secret.... ooops