Thursday, January 03, 2008

Mission get-together

Over the Christmas holiday while we were in Utah, we had a Norwegian missionary get-together. It wasn't a full-blown reunion, as I can't stand those... you can't discriminate on who attends and you invariably get stuck talking to your most despised missionary companion. Or worse, the most BORING one. With these smaller-scale ones, we can pick and choose who we actually interact with. (And if you're a Norwegian returned missionary reading this but didn't get an invitation then 1) You live outside Utah and we assumed you couldn't be bothered with flying in for a couple-hour party, 2) Umm, my email wasn't working when I tried to invite you, or 3) You're not as cool as you thought. Oh, yeah, or 4) I completely messed up... but I'm not really big on personal responsibility, so that one is off the table.

Anyway, the party consisted of the regular format. We all gather for some Norwegian food (although most of it was from Ikea, so it was Swedish, but close enough), we all start talking about whatever, someone makes the suggestion that we should all stop going to church for a year and see how that works out for us, everyone looks around at each other not wanting to say that they wholeheartedly agree but dare not say so for fear of being thought a bad person, the resulting awkward tension is broken by a wisecrack, we have dessert, and then go home.

Gee, thinking back, that was just like the mission parties we had back in Norway. Well, minus one obvious part... we served real Norwegian food at those.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll assume that I fit in the first category. So, who was the one that suggested not going to church anymore?

Tracy said...

Well, you tried to invite me, but I already escaped Utah, and try not to go back at all costs. Sorry I missed the cool peole get together though.

Or maybe you knew I wouldn't come, so the invitation was safe. I tend to say whatever I think anyway, and most people either ignore me because they don't know how to respond to my total lack of social skills, or they think I am crazy anyway.

I've tried not going to church I only get to a month or two then I end up going again. Oh wait, No, I wonder how that would work out, never mind. ;)

One Sassy Princess said...

too bad we wezren't invited--we would have brought REAL norwegian food--my mom is the best cook!

AND I assume I am in a number of the reasons for not getting an invite. Thats okay--I have a mission reuinion everyday since I married an Elder from the mission (tee hee hee)

Hope you all had fun alikevel