Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day excitement

Everyone at work keeps checking out CNN for the latest election news. I don't want to wait for polls to close... I want to find out stuff NOW! Anyway, while trolling CNN, I found this little gem:

Ky. poll worker charged with assault, interfering with election
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- A poll worker was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault and interfering with an election for allegedly choking a voter and pushing the voter out the door, an official said.

Election officials called police, and the voter wanted to file charges, said Paula McCraney, a spokeswoman for the Jefferson County Clerk.

"That about tops off the day," McCraney said.

It wasn't immediately clear what sparked the altercation. The name of the poll worker was not released and a Louisville police spokesman did not immediately return calls seeking comment.


I can tell you right now what the problem was: when the poll worker says use a No. 2 pencil, HE MEANS IT!

Now brave the overzealous poll worker in your precinct and GO VOTE! RIGHT NOW! (Unless you're Republican, as they have a special polling time to minimize their contact with the poor and minorities. The polls are open for you from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM tonight.)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

One year, we moved right before election day. From one Orem house to another. We had not had a chance to change our voter registration. I, wanting to maintain my civic duty returned to our old polling place, ready to vote. One of the election officials was a member of my old ward, and told me I couldn't vote there any longer because I had moved. I told her it had only been a couple weeks, and I had not had a chance to change my address on anything yet. I then said rather loudly, "I guess if you don't want me to vote, I could leave". That brought the attention of a higher ranking official, who said, since it had been less than a month, they would allow me to vote there, just this once. Nice, huh?