Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stupid homeownership, vol. 2844

After putting it off for weeks, Margaret and I spent THE ENTIRE WEEKEND SEVERAL HOURS THIS WEEKEND pruning, raking up leaves, and generally prepping the yard for winter. After TWO DAYS and TEN yard debris bags, we thought we were pretty much all done. Which was true, until Sunday night, when a major wind storm blew through Portland and we woke up to a yard COVERED with leaves. Of course! Don't they have people to do this... well, people that you don't have to PAY to do this? (Maybe that's why people decide to have kids.)

Speaking of home travails, one of my apartments I lived in in Norway was a total dive. I think that since it had been a missionary residence for years, and therefore the residence of teenage boys during all that time, it hadn't seen much in the way of cleaning or maintenance. I was able to handle it okay for a while (I WAS one of those teenage boys, after all), a while, that is, until I found MUSHROOMS growing on the floor of the shower. The occassional mildew stain was one thing, but to have actual fungi growing there was too much. Fortunately I was transferred shortly thereafter to a house where the landlady inspected our cleaning job every week. Draconian, I know, but effective.

Now I can't imagine tolerating mushrooms growing in my house for an instant. (Peyote excluded.)

Follow-up: We slept in a little this morning and were awoken by the sounds of the yard debris pick-up... and we'd forgotten to put out our ten bags of leaves! Now they'll have to sit on the porch for two weeks until the next pick-up. Arrgg.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I don't even own a home at the moment, and the freaking way they pick up the garbage here drives me nuts! I have tons and tons of garbage to get rid of from moving, this is after the literal ton of stuff we cleaned out of our old house when we sold it. Not to mention that in this area recyclables pretty much have to be gift wrapped. So all the paper and boxes I am trying to get rid of have to be a certain size etc. sheeesh!

Anonymous said...

Way to go...Charlie Brown!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Phewww. I'm grateful to live with the new and improved (sans fungi) Jeremy. Not that I didn't have my doubts. I should dig up that picture I took of your room in college - completely filled with piles of clothes and who-knows-what . Something I was willing to overlook since your ah-hem "qualities" were so addictive. Luckily my gamble has paid off - big time - as I'm probably the bigger slob now.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that shower is where you got your mysterious foot ailment!