Monday, July 09, 2007

Indispensible uses for the earth's precious resources

Every now and then, I see a product (and almost 100% of the time it's plastic) that makes me think, "Gee, the earth is SOOO much better off with that product that will eventually go into a landfill instead of the boring raw materials and clean environment that were used up in the product's creation." You know, things like PEZ dispensers, automatically twirling lollipops, and Paris Hilton CDs. Well, this weekend, I saw something to add to the list: The Spiderman 'Water Web' Water Slide. It's like a slip-n-slide, only with a giant inflatable Spiderman hand that doesn't shoot web, it shoots... wait for it.... WATER! Oh brother! Why couldn't they choose a more cultural and educational subject to use for kid's water playthings... I'm thinking the peeing boy statue in Brussels would translate to this purpose particularly well.

Speaking of slip-n-slides... maybe I'm just bitter because the two main memories I have of our slip-n-slide were both traumatic The first one was how bees would be attracted to the water on hot days, where they would drown and leave their corpses to sting us when we stepped on them. The second was the propensity of our geese to poop all over the slide. Believe me... even though both lubricants work well, I'll take plain tap water ANY day.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I think if I had boys, would have HAD to have that. I made my kids suffer through the generic "soak and splash" wich broke after two uses.