Friday, March 21, 2008

Yeah!


Okay, knowing that we're having a girl, we've already started getting inundated with pink stuff, which is starting to drive me crazy. And I can only brace myself for the inevitable Disney Princess phase that essentially looks like a whole line of merchandise that has been covered in bubble gum then puked on with Pepto-Bismol. That said, I did see this onesie online that I would consider, despite that it's pink. But it's IRONICALLY pink, which is a huge difference.

Seriously, check out all the kids stuff the next time you go to the store. Like I read in a blog recently, what possible purpose is there to have a gender-specific blue or pink kid's digital camera, chair, or lace dress? Well, maybe it's okay for the last one, because most little boys will only wear a blue lace dress, but you get the idea. I can see the necessity and reason for gender-specificity in some things, but why extend it into every facet of a child's world? Sorry Jill, Thomas the Train is for boys. Uh, uh, Petey, flowers are for girls. No, no, Susie! The presidency is for boys. Jeesh!

3 comments:

CCinPDX said...

It would help us if you would please specify the pantone number of the colors of pink you would accept.

Deb said...

Your just at the tip of the iceberg! Just wait...you will become more and more annoyed with pink things and little shirts that say things like "Princess" or "My little brother did it!" Don't cave to the "Girls = Only Pink" world! Good luck and stay strong!

Tracy said...

You know, I swore not do do pink, to my girls. I dressed my first in gender neutral sweats from Old Navy. Red and navy. you would not believe how many people thought she was a boy. Even if I dressed her in a blue dress, they thought she was a boy. It really ticked me off.

I however stuck to my guns, I wasn't going to impose gender qualifications on her. You know what, it may have hurt me in the end, she is the one who's favorite color is Pink, everything, pink. All she likes is pink.

On the other hand, I did color code my kids, my oldest got a lot of pink stuff, she has pictures in all colors, but she's the pink girl. The second got yellow, Her favorite color is now red, so everything is red. The Third got green, She still likes green, and blue. the fourth was purple. At the time finding anything in purple or lanvendar was difficult, now it isn't. Her favorite color is yellow. The fifth I chose red, because she was born in July. I have no idea what her favorite color is. I tried to pick peach colors for the youngest, but that fell to the wayside a long time ago.

So all I am saying, is yes, I understand, but in the long run it doesn't matter.

My husband also despises Disney, but my girls love it, and have chosen their favorite princess each. when there were only 3 of them, they each chose their favorite Power Puff Girl.

I now, choose my battles. One of them isn't the color of clothing they wear, only that it cover their bodies and isn't trashed (or trashy). Yes, this can even be a problem for the 4 and under set.