Monday, May 22, 2006

Comfort TV

YES! One of my favorite after school cartoons is being released on DVD! TALE SPIN! I remember rushing home from school everyday to catch the trio of afternoon Disney cartoons: Tale Spin, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, and Duck Tales. It was the perfect way to unlearn the things I'd just been taught. From the hypnotic opening song to the moral at the end of the show, I and half my college roommates were transfixed. Yes--I was in COLLEGE when I watched these shows. I know, I know... I should have been watching Masterpiece Theatre or studying for my Shakespeare final, or calculating the differential of something, but watching a problem be solved in 30 minutes by a trio of ducks, a couple of chipmunks, or some bears who fly airplanes just hearkened back to a simpler time--and they were much more engaging than the Smurfs. Although I didn't hearken SO far back that I watched the cartoons in my underwear like we did watching Saturday morning cartoons--that would be a little creepy--and probably a violation of the BYU Honor Code, I'm sure.

I remember my mom being mad when my brother and I, who were both in college, were home for summer and when Duck Tales came on, we both started singing along with the opening credits. She was livid that she paid good money for us to be in college and we evidently just watched cartoons! If she had any idea how that was just the tip of the iceberg, she'd have killed us!

You can read more about the release here.

3 comments:

Dave D. said...

Oh Please! Cartoons have been found to be a completely justifiable diversion to the stress of college life. So don't feel bad at all. We all did it, in fact I was sitting there with you watching TaleSpin.

Jeremy said...

And I guess we did watch the Simpson's in Norway... you know, to learn important moral lessons that we could impart on our investigators.

Anonymous said...

BTW on just a slightly related note. Here is a piece of trivia for you. Did you know that He-Man cartoon was developed to sell an action figure that Mattel had developed. It went on to be one of the most popular cartoons of the 80's.