Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Diaper dash

Last night, we had to make a pilgrimage to Target and so we called our friends who just had a baby to see if they needed any formula, diapers, bourbon, or whatever. Well it turned out they did need diapers--evidently babies poop...A LOT! And they were running low. They asked for newborn, and when we got to the store, they had a size 1, which we thought must be the smallest they come in. When we got back with the diapers, they were way too big--who knew that the difference between a diaper for a 6-7 lb. baby and a 8-14 lb. baby would be so big?

I remember when my little brother and sister were in diapers and my mom used cloth diapers. Invariably there would be the complete blow-out diaper that had to be soaked before it could be put in the washing machine. I remember the pain of dashing into the house with a full bladder, only to open up the toilet and, horror of horrors, find a poopy diaper soaking in the toilet water!!! Since I was only 7 or 8, I did what any kid of that age would do--I just used the toilet anyway. In my little kid's brain, I figured that I was just dirtying the diaper up a little more and that mom would magically take care of it. No wonder disposable diapers have become such big business. If you're reading this, mom, I'd just like to say sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have had a very cleaned up view diaper changing because I remember "a real diaper" was one of my biggest desires when I was about 4. Someone gave me a tiny preemie disposable one (which I LOVED!) and I spent hours putting it on my bear then taking it off my bear and putting it on my doll and so on and so on and so on. The stinky realty of diaper changing has mostly sunk in but I still see those tiny little ones and think "oh what fun!"

Anonymous said...

Jeremy: This is your Mother. No, I neither forgotten nor forgiven.

Just you wait until you have kids of your own! I have been scheming for years to get you back when I come to visit and find you have a diaper soaking in the toilet. Then I will be avenged! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Even though you got the wrong size, it was very kind of you to offer to buy those oh-so-essential needed things for a new baby.