Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman review

Well, in a nutshell, the movie was okay. There were some genuinely enjoyable moments, but I have to admit that my throat was a little scratchy afterward from groaning so many times. I mean, I'm all for the super powers and all, but some of the things he was doing seemed just too over the top--like drinking a Coors Light?!? I'm thinking Superman would be more of a microbrew kind of guy. We went with a group and did have fun making comments throughout the movie, however. Which probably didn't endear the theatre-goers sitting around us.

I remember growing up, my little brother totally worshipped Superman--I mean he was a bigger influence in his life than JESUS! (In fact it might still be that way, but I'm sure he's working on that problem with his bishop.) He's the one who got Margaret and me hooked on Smallville. When he was little, he had a Superman cape that he would wear everywhere--and oftentimes even to bed. Fortunately he never did try to jump off the house, though. My brother and I would exploit that somewhat by making him clean up our room as fast as Superman. He'd frantically rush around the room picking up clothes and putting away toys as fast as his little legs would go. When he'd slow down, we'd say that he must not be Superman because Superman wouldn't get tired like that, which would goad him into speeding back up again. I guess the comic book character you associate with most as a child tells something about your personality. How money-obsessed must my pysche be for my favorite comic book to be Richie Rich? Yikes!

One of the guys that came with us just had a tendon replaced in his knee and was limping pretty bad. After the movie we decided to go to a nearby restaurant to rehash the movie. I totally thought it was right across the street, but it was two blocks away, which wouldn't have been noticeable had we not had someone in the party that was in pain for every step of the way. Oops. Oh well, that's what hydrocodone is for.

No comments: