Friday, June 02, 2006

Fine print

I just got a refresher course for life lesson 47 in the chapter on purchasing: "if it's too good to be true, it probably is." While in the Mexico City airport, Margaret and I took advantage of the duty free shopping there. There were some great deals--like Mexican vanilla for a few dollars a bottle, or French cigarettes for quite expensive. One thing that caught my attention was a cologne that I really liked. After vacillating for a while, I picked up a small box and saw that it was only $25. Since the other colognes were in the $40 to $80 range, I thought that was is a real bargain and that clinched the deal for me and I decided to get it. Well, this morning while packing for our trip to St. George, I opened up the box to pack it and to my dismay found not a small bottle of cologne but a stick of deodorant! I paid $25 for DEODORANT?!? Sure enough, in a small font in almost the same color as the packaging, the box was unclearly labeled "deodorant stick." And to make matters worse, there's no way I can return the package, being that I got it in ANOTHER COUNTRY! Arg! Now I guess I'll just have to rub the deodorant all over my body in the hopes that it will replicate the effects of the actual cologne, since I checked online and that particular cologne won't be available in the United States for at least a couple more months. Now I know what the crushing disappointment that my Mormon pioneer ancestors found out that they had to colonize Emery County, Utah felt like.

No comments: