Monday, June 26, 2006

Sabbath shopping punishment

Over the weekend, we kept putting off grocery shopping until finally around 5:30 on Sunday afternoon we realized that we'd better get a move on if we were going to have any food in the house this coming week. We headed to Costco (of course, since we're a household of two, where else could we shop?) and got there at 5:50, only to discover that it closed at 6:00! We sprinted in and had to dash from location to location--fortunately we'd made a list, or we would have been kicking ourselves at how much we'd forgotten to get. Actually, that proved to be the most efficient trip to Costco we've ever made.

Despite closing early, I'm glad we have the freedom to shop on Sunday. When I was in Norway, they have strict Sabbath laws that practically close down the country. Convenience stores and gas stations are allowed to open, and some touristy shops, but by-and-large you have to wait until Monday--even if you wanted that sweater or new CD NOW! One store that could stay open on Sundays was Midnight Video, a video store that wasn't too far from us that stayed open until--you guessed it--midnight. I remember breaking one mission rule, and not really obeying the spirit of the Sabbath when we would rent movies from that video store to watch on our day off, which was Mondays. Well, we'd take that seriously and consider our day off to start when Monday did--at the stroke of 12. We'd go to the video store around 11:45 or so on Sunday night and pick out a movie, but not pay for it until midnight--when it wasn't breaking the Sabbath anymore! Weren't we ingenious? We'd discovered a loophole that the 10 Commandments didn't address! (Please disregard the fact that we weren't supposed to be watching movies in the first place--and I can't remember offhand what we even rented, so for me to so easily forget, I'll assume they were all Disney animated films and nothing of a questionable or violoent nature.) We'd rush home with our treasure and make a big batch of brownies and get a REALLY early start on our day off. Now if I stay up past midnight, I'm dragging for a couple of days just to recover. Stupid aging!

4 comments:

Dave D. said...

"I can't remember offhand what we even rented, so for me to so easily forget, I'll assume they were all Disney animated films and nothing of a questionable or violoent nature."

um, no. Do you want the list?

Anonymous said...

Did you make better brownies then?? I seem to remember a time that you and I made brownies after your mission and they were the worst brownies ever!!! A note to readers.....never try to bake brownies with a turkey egg, pancake flower, and nestle quick cocoa mix! I was in elementary school so I have an excuse. Unfortunately, Jeremy does not have one.

Jeremy said...

That TOTALLY happened BEFORE my mission. During my two-year stint, I made hundreds of batches of brownies, in fact perfecting rum brownies (the alcohol all burns out, right? Right? RIGHT?) Although I don't deny the story Jamie wrote--in fact to make matters worse, we baked it in the microwave!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I thought I was the only one. However, I think I must have been one of the few that got caught (me and the 3 other missionaries...). And we made Lancaster make the treats. He was a better cook, however he put rum in everything. The thought of rum flavored cinnamon rolls still makes me want to hurl.