Sunday, October 08, 2006

Phew, I'm exausted just WRITING this

Here it is noon on Sunday and I'm still a little bleary-eyed after last night's happenings. Knowing that this coming week is going to be a hell week in preparation for the big event next weekend, I thought that we should go out and do something that would make me forget all about the stress and aggravation in store for me for the next seven days. Well, Margaret contacted the gang with an idea to meet for snacks, etc. around 5:30, then go to PIZZAZZ!, the citywide talent show at our local movie theatre. It was all organized and we were looking forward to it all day. Since the restaurant and theatre are within walking distance of our house, we forwent our car and just strolled down Hawthorne, enjoying the sunny afternoon. Well, when Margaret and I got down to the restaurant (which was on 52nd Avenue), she remarked that she could have SWORN that she'd emailed an address on 42nd Avenue. I called one of our friends to confirm the location for their email, and sure enough, we'd overshot the restaurant by 10 blocks! So by the time we'd gotten to the real destination, we were hot--Margaret especially, since she had on a wig, which is way more insulating that even a Gore-tex ski cap. Anyway, when we got to the restaurant, there was a small sign saying that they were going to be closed that evening for a private event! By this time, some other friends were already showing up. They were looking for a good happy hour, and I called a nearby restaurant and confirmed with them that their happy hour ended at 6, giving us 1/2 hour to get down there. Well, when we got down there, they said that it really ended at 5:30. In frustration, we just went over to a local burrito bar. When we sat down, another couple who just arrived said that the line to get into the talent show was over a block long already... and we hadn't bought advance tickets! Aiieee. A friend and I decided to just get some food at the theatre and went to stand in line right then. It's a good thing we did, too, as the line eventually snaked around two sides of the block!

The talent show was well worth the wait, however. It was hilarious to see some of the random acts that were gathered. It was very Portland to see firedancers (performing with electric fire due to fire codes), singers, dancers, and YODELING COWBOYS!!! It had it ALL! Most of the acts were PG or PG-13, with the occassional spike into R territory, but it was all in good fun. And to top it off, the yodeling cowboys came in second place! Yee-haw!

After the show, Margaret was itching to go out dancing. I've been sick lately, so was feeling a little lethargic, but went along anyway. Well, when we got to the dance club, I was yawning so much it was kind of embarassing... like I was looking like I wasn't impressed with the scene. I decided to try something I've never had before in an attempt to rectify the situation... I had a Red Bull (and they even come in diet, so it was just pure caffeine, etc., and none of the pesky sugar). Well THAT really did the trick. I was going strong, and a couple of times Margaret and a friend that came along with us were ready to leave and I kind of maneuvered them back onto the dance floor. We didn't get home until after 1:00, and at that point, I think the Red Bull had worn off, because I really don't remember much after opening the door to the house. So I'm here to say that Red Bull DOES give you wings, but, like Daedelus, those wings make you fly too close to the sun and you end up crashing.

No comments: