Friday, December 15, 2006

Bad luck in threes

What is it that they say about things coming in threes? Like Raiders of the Lost Ark movies or the number of successful Baldwin brothers. Well after Kitty dying and then Margaret's purse getting stolen, I was bracing myself for the worst... like a fiery plane crash, catching eczema from the person sitting next to me on the plane, or having the missionaries hassle me in the Salt Lake airport (Shudder). Perhaps I was being too pessimistic. Last night while we were packing, a major wind storm blew into Portland and knocked our power out. While stumbling around the house and packing our luggage by flashlight, I was hoping that if was the third in our current string of bad luck, I don't mind it one bit. Plus think of all the money it saved us in electricity charges!

We're waiting in the airport right now, and contrary to previous trips, I think I only forgot one thing. Of course it was the materials to bake a kransekake (a almond cookie that has a secret ingredient that makes you crave it unmercifully until its all eaten, even if that means eating half of it by yourself... and that secret ingredient is POWDERED sugar!). Anyway, last night when I called my grandmother and aunt they reminded me of all the baking to be done next week and I thanked them for reminding me to pack the materials for the Norwegian treat. Well, in the ensuing chaos of the power outage I totally spaced it. And I can't even bake my famous Jack Daniels-infused fruitcake as a replacement, since the closest place in Utah to get Jack Daniels is Wyoming! Oh well, there's always Christmas Cap'n Crunch marshmallow squares.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

But they have Powdered sugar in Utah... Sugar and chocolate are the only vices left the the righteous Latter Day Saint. (technically, they shouldn't be induldged in the way they are, but Utah enjoys being the fattest state).