Monday, December 04, 2006

Small-town Oregon

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was going on and on about looking forward to getting out of Portland? Come on, don't you remember me talking about how cold it was, how wet it was, how annoying the pet owners who treat their animals as child surrogates were? Jeesh, I can't believe you'd forget. I'm totally insulted. (Now don't go back through the archives, because I may have been talking about it to someone in the REAL WORLD. Yes, I still do communicate away from the Internet.) Well, anyway, needless to say, I've been itching to get out of town, and last week I got notified at work that, lo and behold, I needed to do some business travel. Yay! My boss told me I needed to go out in the field and take some pictures of blah blah blah interview some people doing some stuff and to make sure that I blah blah blah Rufus, Oregon. Wha? Did he just say RUFUS? Now normally I love getting out of the office. There's only so much monitor radiation I can stand and I'm sure I'm well past my annual dosage. In fact that's why my tan hasn't faded yet, despite months of dreary weather. Anyway, while I normally look forward to the business trips to New York, Buenos Aires, or Rome (three cities I've YET to be sent to... what's up with THAT?!), I really wasn't looking forward to an overnight stay in Rufus, Oregon. Yes, RUFUS... the city just one step classier than Marmot, Oregon. Surprisingly enough, there is a hotel here and its not just some scary RV park where I'd have to park the company car and not get any sleep all night, holding a shiv in case anyone tried to break in. As it is, I'll get to hold a shiv in the comfort of a warm bed. Fortunately the walls are so thin that if something does happen, people on all three sides of me will be able to hear my cries for help.

Actually, the place can't be all that bad... it has wireless Internet, microwave, and satellite tv. My HOUSE only has two of the three, so I'm in the lap of luxury.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

you don't have a microwave?