Thursday, September 07, 2006

Blast from the past

Do you remember those Wednesday nights of your youth, laying on the living room carpet, neck craned at an impossible angle to stare at the tv? Watching the 8:30 show knowing that as soon as it's over, you have to go to bed, and hoping that your parents don't notice that it's getting later and later? Of course they knew EXACTLY what time it was--at the stroke of 9:00, they'd get the rest of the evening to themselves. Well, in the spirit of those days, Margaret and I rented the first season of Doogie Howser, M.D. last night. How could we forget the cool show where a sixteen year-old genius is a doctor?!? What could be cooler than THAT? (Other than the old guy on Matlock, the four old ladies living in Florida on Golden Girls, or the old lady who solved mysteries on Murder, She Wrote, of course!) Anyway, after watching a couple of episodes, we couldn't believe how terrible it was. Sure it brought back memories, but I can't believe what a difference watching the show as an adult was compared to watching it through innocent, youthful eyes. One of the episodes was about a hot female doctor whose biological clock was ticking pretty loudly who wanted Doogie to father a child with her because of his superior genetics. It later turned out she had artificial insemination in mind, but STILL--he was sixteen frickin' years old!! I wonder if, as a kid, I thought, "wow, what a dilemma!" Now, all I think of is "wouldn't that be considered sexual abuse or statutory rape?" I guess age has a way ruining youthful wonder. First Knight Rider was ruined by a recent viewing, then Remington Steele, now even Doogie has forsaken me--that's why I haven't reread the scriptures lately.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

What are you talking about. I'm a vociferous proponent of the "Oxford comma." I militantly review all my coworkers' documents to make sure they are included. I have an abject hatred for the "Community College comma-less conjunction" format.