Thursday, February 21, 2008

And this is why I'm losing my hair

Well, yesterday the bathroom flooring was installed. Leading up to this, we agonized over the color, finally deciding on "Pale Sage" from Restoration Hardware. Before the flooring was installed, it looked great. Afterward... not so much. You know how sometimes if something is just a LITTLE bit off, it looks more terrible than if it were a LOT off... like Hillary Swank? Well, that's what happened when we went into the room right after the installation. The sage color turned out to be more blue, which clashed with the walls. Since the vanity and cabinet are being installed tomorrow, and I was too lazy to trim out the new cabinets, yet too anally retentive to let it slide, I only had last night and today to repaint it a matching color.

So, for about the 1,350th mile driven between our house and Home Depot, I took our flooring sample, a Martha Stewart "Designing with Color" book, and the Restoration Hardware swatch to use for comparison. After at least a 1/2-hour deliberation, between "Relaxing Green" and "Shimmer." (And WHO comes up with these names?!? One of the ones we saw recently was "Mystic Unicorn." If you couldn't see the swatch, you would have no idea what color that might be.) I finally settled on "Relaxing Green" hoping that the name would bring me some measure of relaxation over having to shell out ANOTHER $30 for a gallon of bathroom paint. I got it home and I wasn't even halfway done before I realized that this color was horribly wrong. Thinking that maybe I just needed to see the completed room, I gritted my teeth and pressed on, getting more and more agitated. When I was finally finished, I could hardly stand to look at it. I have no idea how someone whose JOB it is to determine printing colors could get it so wrong. The color turned out to look more like the weird turquoise from Baskin Robbins' "Daiquiri Ice" ice cream! I stewed all night and am now faced with the prospect of shelling out ANOTHER $30 for ANOTHER gallon of paint. $90 will hopefully be the charm.

In an effort to find color ideas that matched our flooring and the marble countertop, I googled "carrara marble shade of green" and found a blog with the perfect shade of green (at least in the online photo). It was on a home restoration blog that dealt with a guy restoring an old home. He listed the specific paint names he used in his other projects, so I thought, "SCORE!" Alas, the perfect color he used consisted of some leftover light green mixed into some leftover dark green he had. DENIED!

At this point, white walls are looking pretty good!

5 comments:

Dave D. said...

I don't understand. This should've been a home run for you. The two of you have great artistic taste. Maybe you're going color blind?

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked too - you two should have hit this out of the park... two suggestions: go neutral (sherwin williams makes a nice neutral called tequila) or cross the color wheel and go with a contrasting color like red, orange, or brown...? Good luck and I cannot wait to see it someday soon.

Anonymous said...

Designers! So friggin' picky. Oh wait…I am one. I had a purplish blue house once and it made me cry. Why hasn't anyone invented a nanotechnology paint that you can adjust on the fly after you paint it on? Can you imagine? Bump up that Cyan 2 and knock the Magenta down 7. Hmm…knock that Magenta down one more. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Just like the manicure set on "Total Recall."

sonya d said...

I painted my room last summer and hated the color... and still hate the color because I haven't changed it.