Wednesday, February 06, 2008

¡Viva Mexico! Day Two: The Burning

Day two of our Mexican trip opened up with Margaret feeling too sick to get out of bed and me feeling a strange gurgling in my stomach. Within a 1/2 hour of waking up, I'd decided to go back to bed, getting up only to dash to the bathroom. What a way to start a vacation! Eventually I decided we needed some food in us if we were to successfully fight off the virus or whatever, so I headed outside to get some Sprite and crackers. (I know, think of how much money we were saving by eating 10 pesos of food per day!)

Anyway, when I stepped outside, I saw these low black clouds and instantly thought, "Great... not only are we sick but there's a torrential downpour coming." Only it wasn't an imminent storm... it was the hotel's new lobby on fire! I dragged Margaret out of bed to check it out and we wondered if we'd get any discounts on our room, as we'd specifically requested non-smoking. (We didn't.) As it turned out, it didn't affect the resort that much, although the store was closed for a while so I couldn't buy any food until the fire was completely out. I hate when I'm inconvenienced like that!

Eventually I got our food and we spent the rest of the day convalescing in bed, anxious for the next day to be better than this one. I swear, at that point we thought between the norovirus and the hotel fire we'd brought some seriously bad karma to Mexico and were kind of cringing to find out what the rest of the week would bring.

Update: Margaret just reminded me that in addition to the Sprite, we also were drinking Pedialyte since we were getting so dehydrated. We mixed the two for cocktails... since we were in the tropics and all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also known as "mi dia con Pedialyte."