Friday, February 08, 2008

¡Viva Mexico! Day Four: Decadence

After our exhausting day shopping, we decided to play it safe and spend an entire day just sitting around the pool. Now I've never done that in my life—usually I get bored and want to do something... ANYTHING... other than just sit in the sun but something about the Mexican sun, being warm after months of dreary weather in Portland, and the prospect of getting enough vitamin D from all that sunlight glued me to the lounge chair. Plus, having access to the second largest pool in Latin America didn't hurt, either. Seriously, I've seen LAKES smaller than this pool! It was multi-tiered with waterfalls connecting it, islands of palm trees, and enough lounge chairs around it to allow a small city to bask in the sun. It took almost 10 minutes just to walk around the thing.

Given that we were planning on exposing ourselves to potentially lethal amounts of solar radiation, we literally doused ourselves with so much sunscreen that I'm surprised that we got any color at all. (The SPF 75 that I bought in the Bahamas last year came in handy... it was like spreading white latex paint on our faces.)

Aside from going back to our room for lunch, our entire day was spent reading and lazing by the pool. There is definitely something to be said about a day made up of, "ahh, I'm so warm," ... "ooh, now I'm too warm, I think I'll get in the pool," ... "oops, stayed in too long and now I'm a complete prune; I'd better get out." Repeat 10 or 12 times.

Looking back, I'm wishing we'd have spent even MORE time doing nothing. Doing nothing here in Portland is nowhere NEAR as fulfilling.

No comments: