Friday, April 28, 2006

Hitting new lows

I've done something terrible and the conflicting part of it is I feel great! Despite years of being warned about its evils and destruction and chaos and potential for unraveling the tenuous fabric that holds society together, I threw caution to the wind and went on a walk on the wild side... yes, I VANDALIZED A SIGN!!! I know, I know... that ranks up there with pulling off a mattress tag or smoking marijuana, but I couldn't help myself. It was more of an expression of creativity than destruction, anyway, so therefore TOTALLY justified. Actually, I just defaced a sign that had already been defaced... it wasn't like I was working with a clean canvas. (Did I tell you that my talent was self-justification when I represented Norway at the Mormon Missionary Universe Pageant? And the white shirt and tie combo I had on totally blew the Elder representing Italy out of the water... And don't even get me STARTED on the Bible Bash competition. It was awesome!)

Anyway, back to the vandalism: The Multnomah County Health Department has a sign for bathrooms in restaurants that says: "Don't spread disease. Wash your hands after using the toilet. And again in the kitchen." Well, some mildly creative soul had blacked out some letters to spell: "Don't spread disease. Wash your hands after using the toilet." But they'd left the "And again in the kitchen."

Well, my years of playing Scrabble and Boggle finally paid off, because I noticed that I could black out some letters in that phrase and complete the thought. I've attached a picture of the final product, and I have to admit that I'm pretty pleased with the result. Hopefully it will catch on and I'll see people replicating my strike-outs in restaurants throughout the city! I've finally made a mark in public restrooms that doesn't have to be cleaned up with a mop and bucket!

2 comments:

Dave D. said...

Good use of your graphic design skills. What worries me is you equate smoking pot with pulling off mattress tags.

Nikki said...

Quite right, Dave. Mattress tags are serious business. It is my belief the people that operate the us.gov are still accumulating information on those of you out there who flippantly remove mattress tags. A cigarette-smoking man is monitoring these social deviants, ready to pounce when it suits his needs.