Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Phone queue hell

I have come to the conclusion that I loathe with all my heart phone queues. I've been trying to talk with a live person all morning, and have been stuck on hold the entire time. There ought to be a special circle of hell reserved for companies that tolerate hold times of more than 10 minutes. One of my coworkers was on hold for 45 minutes recently and an emergency came up so he had to run take care of that, which only took a minute or two, and by the time he got back, the call had been answered and the customer support had hung up, so he had to start over. One time, being the passive/agressive type, I got stuck in a phone queue while at work so I kept transferring to a different line and calling, resulting in 8 or 10 lines being used for the express purpose of sitting on hold. It gave me a smidgeon of satisfaction to know that their lines were being tied up and their operators getting frantic over the growing number of calls waiting--then I remembered that these companies have hundreds of lines and hundreds of people waiting in the queue at any given instant--but still, it somehow made me feel better.

3 comments:

Dave D. said...

That's right! You stick it to the MAN!

Anonymous said...

well you are calling them so you are subjecting yourself to the inconvience, I hate it when a telemarketer calls who speaks english so bad that the only thing you can make out of what they is the slaughtering of you name...

Jeremy said...

Which reminds me of this week's Simpsons, when Homer was in India talking to a call center worker who could change his accent on the fly, from New York Corporate to Texas drawl to Jamaican depending on which phone line was ringing.

Actually, once we had some friends from India over for a Halloween party and Margaret was amazed that the wife knew the lyrics to all the 80's songs that were playing (from a CD Jarrod gave me called "Leather and Lace") When Margaret asked her about it, she said she'd grown up watching MTV and probablyl had a better grasp on American Pop Culture than Margaret did!