Thursday, August 31, 2006

Begging

This morning waiting for the bus, a Jamaican-sounding drunk came up to me begging for money. I used my standard decline: "Sorry, my wife doesn't let me carry money." To which he responded, "don't she know it... give her man money when he leaves the house, he don't be coming back." Maybe that's what happened to him.

On another note, yesterday during a site visit to Astoria, Oregon for work, we stopped at a gas station for snacks and to stretch our legs. I was interested seeing a self-serve milkshake machine (a machine which I took advantage of by buying a small milkshake and drinking it while shopping around the store and then topping it off upon leaving) What was weird, though, was right next to the milkshake machine was a self-serve hamburger machine! Evidently you just put a raw patty on a little oven conveyor belt and when it comes out the bottom, it's fully cooked, at which time you assemble it and put on your condiments. YIKES! There are some things that I don't mind having a real, live person doing the work, and cooking a hamburger is one of them.

No comments: