Monday, August 21, 2006

Road trip adventures

This weekend I had to go to Pendleton, Oregon for a salmon-related activity for work. Portland was over 90º, and I wasn't looking too forward to going to the hot east side of the state. Plus, to make matters worse, I had totally spaced the date, thinking it was taking place on SEPTEMBER 19. Last Thursday, I got an email reminding all presenters about set-up times for the AUGUST 19 event--in TWO DAYS!! I frantically got my travel requests in, and gave Margaret a call, as she always gets after me for not telling her when I'm going to be travelling. At least I gave her a day's notice this time! What more could she expect? She declined to go, particularly when I told her that the trip would entail leaving Portland at 5:00 pm, probably getting stuck in traffic leaving the city, driving for 3 hours, resting at the hotel overnight, getting up at the crack of dawn to set up the booth, sit in the heat for 5-6 hours, then drive home. Can you believe she didn't have any interest? Going to the fabric store and sewing ranked higher on her "Things I'd rather do list" than a long road trip (which is what she did.) (And walking through the rolling sothern Lebanese countryside right now is more apealling to me than going to a fabric store.) The trip was pretty uneventful including one thing that was blessedly uneventful, but might not have been. Driving back, I was getting sleepy (despite drinking 96 oz. of Diet Pepsi in an effort to get caffeine and a ful bladder that is impossible to sleep through). I stopped at the Celilo Village rest area, where I thought if I took a little swim in the river, it would wake me up. I went down to the water and it was packed with people swimming and riding jet-skis. Since I didn't have any swimtrunks, I'd planned on just swimming in my underwear, but not being an exhibitionist, that location really wouldn't work (Well... if I'd had on my firetruck underwear I might have considered it, but since I didn't I felt I had to be more modest). Thinking I might find a more discreet location further downstream, I walked along the river bank and found a carefully groomed trail to the river. It looked pretty official, as the path was cleared of debris, the blackberries pruned back, and the trail was well worn. I walked right down to the river and it was perfect--secluded and deep. I swam around for a while and it totally did the trick waking me right up. After drying off and getting dressed again, I started back up the path, which was when I noticed a carefully written sign written in permanent marker on a flat rock that advertised for... well, use your imagination. I was instantly nervous that whoever had written that sign was lurking in the bushes. I made my way back down the path as quickly as possible, fortunately not running into another soul. Phew! Thinking back, I should have realized it was someone's lair, since the state doesn't maintain its trails that well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabric store? I do believe your wife went to see the Rose City Rollers, specifically Guns and Rollers, a bunch of bad-ass chicks who describe themselves thusly:

"Their hair is big and their gear is tight. They skate as hard as they rock and have unrivaled air harmony. Let’s get one thing straight though, they’re not just here for the groupies, after parties and power slides, they’re here to rock and roll the competition right off the track. Show us your horns Portland. G-N-R baby!!! "

Anonymous said...

Yes - and combining a fabric store outing and a roller derby adventure in one day is my new definition of splendor. Ahhhh....

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have been meaning to see if there is a roller derby club I could join here in CA, Utah didn't have such activities for me. However, I could find more fabric stores than here. The one fabric store I did find, found my 6 kids a little too juvanile for their tastes.