Friday, August 11, 2006

Diminishing discretion

Last night, Margaret and I had to go to the store for some pop neccessities. When we went in, there were two teenagers standing at the makeup section, one of which had a skirt that was so short it could have been used as a wider-than-usual belt. Normally when I'm making a comment, I try to make sure I'm completely behind the person's back, which I thought I was tonight, as I remarked under my breath to Margaret, "could my skirt GET any shorter?" After we turned onto an aisle, she said that one usually says stuff like that more than two feet away from the person being judged. Yikes, I'm becoming that old guy who comments on "kids these days."

Speaking of which, I remember the first time I heard someone my age say that, and boy was I amazed. We were at a family dinner in Salt Lake with Margaret's aunt, uncle, and cousins. Sitting around talking after dinner, one of the cousins mentioned that the city pool in Fillmore, Utah wasn't heated and that his kids wouldn't swim it in...and in his day they were grateful to swim in it, even though they would be blue with cold. His wife then responded that kids these days were just spoiled that way. I looked at her and said I couldn't believe that someone MY age actually used the phrase "kids these days..." and she asked, "who said that?" When I told her that she had just uttered those very grown-up words, she was so embarassed and couldn't believe she'd actually said it. Now I truly can say those words...and mean them. Especially when I see those stupid kids with baggy jeans hanging down below their underwear. I mean, WHAT is up with that? Am I so out of touch?

5 comments:

Bimbo said...

With all due respect: so what? So her skirt's way too short. If this were a five year old dressed like Christina Aguilera, I'd be with you. That's wholly inappropriate. But this is a teenaged girl. Being geriatric like yourself at 34 years old, I'll wager that around 1987 you were looking pretty questionable yourself - unnaturally colored hair? some really bad pants, perhaps? Maybe just the requisite snarl or asthmatic noises of disdain most of us used to express ourselves. The half-nekkid thing doesn't strike me as a social barometer as much as fleeting fashion, the current trend. None of our fashion faux pas' or plain stupidity really effected the way we do business as geezers. We turned out... nevermind. I thought I had a valid point.

Anonymous said...

I can't see you ever following the fads of the day. I seem to remember a 19 year old with your similar name wearing 100% wool designer suits, when everyone else was wearing polyester blends.

I think you were more into Nordstroms than Mr. Mac... I could be wrong, I am not an expert on men's suits, and I have to say that's all I ever saw you wear.... BTW did you get, and do you still have a Helly Hansen jacket?

Jeremy said...

Yeah, yeah. And by the way, I did get a Helly Hansen jacket and actually wore the waterproofing off it. I still can't bear to part with it--it's in my attic, looking forlornly out the window at the constant Portland rains dreaming of the old country.

Anonymous said...

When you start telling those pesky kids to "get off my lawn!!!" - then you can worry. Hair growing out your ears and boughts of impotence are sure to follow.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had one too, I think I just gave it to DI when I moved from Utah to Cali. I didn't want to... but I figured the purple and green were an outdated combo anyway.

Hey! I yell at kids to get off my lawn all the time. Does that mean I am old too?

I started a fight with some kid wistleing in blockbuster a couple years ago. When he didn't shut up after I asked nice, I knocked him into a rack of movies.
Now I get all my movies from netflix....