Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Turning over a new cola bean leaf

Even if I somehow was deprived of seeing a calendar, I would still be able to tell it was January by the vast increase in people at the gym. Between new year's resolutions and gaining 25 lbs. after drinking too much eggnog and eating too many caramels, people are flocking to run, bike, or stair climb away those extra pounds. They must do it really quickly, too, because the surge in numbers only lasts until the middle of February. After that, it's back to normal and I can go back to being able to find a treadmill to run on without waiting in a frickin' line.

Speaking of new year's resolutions, an incident while we were in Utah prompted one of mine. No, no, I've not set my sights on becoming a bishop (although my ward IS pretty desperate... I could probably breeze in there with a Diet Coke in one hand and a copy of "Under the Banner of Heaven" in the other hand and STILL get the job). No, the incident that prompted this resolution unfolded like this: We were visiting Margaret's sister and the only caffeine they had in the house was Dr. Pepper and Lime Diet Coke. Since I'd prefer not to drink the sugared pop (since I'd have to consume 1200 calories worth to get the caffeine I needed), and I couldn't drink the Lime Diet Coke because the lime artificial flavor gives me a headache, I just had to tough it out. I made it through most of the day, but on the drive to Margaret's brother's house, I was going though SERIOUS withdrawals. Spinning headache, spiders climbing the walls, the mountains looked like they were melting... you get the picture. When we finally arrived, I stumbled into the house and gasped out, "do you have any caffeine?" Fortunately my reputation preceded me, and they had gotten some in anticipation of the visit. Two minutes and three cans of Diet Pepsi later, I felt like a heroin addict getting his fix. At that moment, I decided to cut back on the caffeine. Not because I think it's killing me (which it probably is) but because I can't stand getting in that situation where my time is ruined because I didn't get my drug of choice. It's now been 9 days of slowly tapering off... I didn't dare go cold turkey for fear of going on a homicidal rampage or signing up for the NRA or something. For the past few days I've only had one can of pop per day. I think today's the day that I'll try not drinking ANY caffeine. If I can give it up for a week, I'll consider it beat and go back to drinking it MODERATELY. No more 128 oz. days for me. No siree! No seriously... just because I've done this before only to be tempted back by the beckoning hiss of carbonation bubbles bursting forth from the surface of the sweet, sweet caramel-colored... keep focused... stay on target....

Wish me luck. I'll need it.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Remember the good old days in Norway, when there would be only 15 croner left to a companionship, so we would scrounge around for empty pepsi bottles in the hybel closets to get some more, just to buy another bottle of pepsi, and a block of cheese and some bread? Those were the days. grilled cheese sandwiches made on a waffle iron, smothered in jam, washed down with pepsi....

Oh, wait maybe that was just me.

I quit caffeine cold turkey when my mom was taking the discusions, so that she would feel supported when she quit smoking. After she was baptised, I started back up with one bottle or so a day. Then we moved and I get far less sleep than I used to so now I am edging up to two bottles sometimes 3 a day. eek!

I am thinking it would have been better if I had just stayed away from the stuff. Maybe next year my goal will be to cut it out. What's the harm in drinking water when you eat out? (my first complaint is that there is never a caffeine free diet).

Good luck, I remember being grumpier than my mother who was giving up nicotine.

Tracy said...

eh, I need a spell checker!