Monday, January 29, 2007

We Wang Chunged!

Aiieeee! I've become my parents! They think that music from their era (like Elvis, Sandra Dee, and Beethoven) is the be-all-end-all of music genres. Because it was the music of their youth, I guess it reminds them of going to all those sock-hops and malt shoppes when they were teeny boppers and greasers. Well over the weekend we went to an 80's dance and I realized as we were dancing to all the songs of my church youth dance days that I'd fallen into the same nostalgia trap. Not that that is a bad thing, mind you.

When a friend told us about it, we saw it as... what else... an excuse to dress up! Margaret got together her best mall crawler outfit on, complete with mini skirt and leggings and THREE Swatches! (Actually, I'm embarrassed to say that all three of the Swatches she was wearing, along with the one I was wearing were MINE from the 80's!) I had on my best Andrew McCarthy from Pretty in Pink outfit o--complete with three layers of pastel shirts under a sports jacket and acid wash jeans. The only difference between then and now was that I had about 50% less hair than the last time I'd worn anything like that. The dance itself was a lot of fun, too. They showed the lame 80's artsy videos along with all the music and we were transported back in time to a simpler age when I was just worried about acne, how to come up with some money to buy the new Duran Duran cassette, and contemplating the long-term effets of Reagan's trickle down economics policies on future national solvency. Of course the first time we'd danced to those songs, we didn't have to hobble home and take a handful of Advil for aching knees and ankles... uh, not that that happened this time, too... I was just imagining that SOME of the people did that... not us... no siree... we're not getting older.... not at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was listening to the 80's station on Sirius the other day and found myself singing all of the songs the were playing, first of all I was proud that I could remember the lyrics to all of these songs, and then I realized that I could remember the lyrics to all the songs and that was just sad....

Anonymous said...

The worst is noticing that an awful song and singer, Kelly Clarkson (Breakaway), is actually written by Tiffany and then cutting Ms. Clarkson some slack because hey its Tiffany... (since when did I start liking red headed mall rats from the 80's?)