Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Drawbacks of germaphobia

Last night I had a late meeting for work. We'd invited a group of people and plied them to attend with the promise of food (something that almost NEVER fails to work). Well, the last time we met at that location, the only thing I could eat was the dinner salad as all the other items had MSG and being rushed to the emergency room isn't my idea of a good time, nor is it conducive to a productive meeting. Well, the food we offered last night LOOKED good, but since it was potentially poisonous to me, I decided to graze on the cheese and fruit plate. I didn't commit to a plate, but instead would grab a piece at a time. Well, one of the attendees brought her little girl... who was 4 or 5 years old... who made a beeline to the food table and started pawing through the cheese. That by itself wouldn't have been THAT bad, but as she was finishing up loading her plate to capacity, she SNEEZED all over the food... and not a dainty little sneeze, but a juicy, runny nose sneeze! That halted my grazing for the evening. Fortunately they had lots of Diet Pepsi, so that completed my dinner for the evening. Of course I didn't want to ruin everyone else's dinner, so I just kept quiet about it.

Which reminds me of a story my aunt told me. She had made some punch that took some elaborate preparation. It was sitting out in the kitchen and so at some point in the family get-together, she went to the kitchen to serve the guests. When she got to the kitchen, she let out a gasp as she saw that one of her nephews had put a FLYSWATTER in the punch bowl!!! When queried by the people in the living room as to why she'd gasped, she said, "Uh, nothing," and proceeded to serve the punch. When they noticed that she wasn't having any, she just told them that she really didn't want any. I guess what people don't know really doesn't hurt them... unless of course its me...

1 comment:

Tracy said...

How did you survive in Norway? There were so many episodes in my experience that would have made you quiver and turn green, I can't believe that your experience was that much better than mine.