Monday, April 30, 2007

Great Simpsons quote

Last night had a great quote from Bart. He walks into the kitchen to see Marge looking forlornly out the window. He asks her, "What's wrong?... Thinking about your marriage?" Classic.

Well over the weekend a friend of ours who we play Mah Jong with was in California and found a beautiful Mah Jong set for us. I'm excited to see it, as I made the mistake of buying one off eBay from China. You know, when something is too good to be true, it has a 99.999% probability of being not quite what you're expecting. I found a beautiful Mah Jong set (at least from the pictures) and no one had bid on it. I vacillated over whether or not to buy it and when there was only a couple hours left on the bidding, I decided to go for it, as there were STILL no bids (talk about a warning flag!) Anyway, when the auction closed, I was the only bidder, and so got the set for 99¢! Unfortunately, I had to pay $100 shipping from Shanghai! Still, I thought $100.99 was pretty good for such a beautiful set. Well, a couple of days later, I got the set in the mail and it was a brand new "antiqued" reproduction that we ended up having to take Sharpies to to make the markings and details show up. To top it off, the box has to be laid flat... if you try to pick it up by the handle, all the tiles fall into a jumbled mess at the bottom of the box.

Needless to say, I've got high hopes for this set that is coming, but I'm going to wait until I see it with my own two eyes before I pass judgement. I've become so jaded!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What am I to do with this post about you playing Mah Jong after the "oy" fiasco? You're just baiting me, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

Jeremy, the living melting pot, next week I want to hear about you eating beatles in the homemade tortillas you make on the sidewalk in front of your house