Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Stupid American cars

Oy! I had to drive somewhere yesterday for work and so they got me a rental car. I told them I wanted a Cadillac Escalade, but instead they got me a Ford Focus! Talk about uncomfortable, personality-less, and poor radio reception! Anyway, I ended up having to drive several hundred miles in it during the course of the day. Well, this morning when I woke up, I couldn't hardly move as my back was so out of whack. That happens almost every time I ride in an American car... it's the cushy La-Z-Boy recliner-like seats that are comfortable for a two-block drive to the drive-thru window but not for any serious driving. Give me a Japanese or European seat any day. (I'll end my snobbish rant now.)

Speaking of questionable automobiles, I remember one time in Norway when my companion backed into a cement mixer (the little ones you plug in, not the big trucks) and damaged the rear end of our VW. Well, the loaner we got while ours was getting repaired was a Skôda. We'd never heard of that car brand before. It turned out to be Czechoslovakian. It didn't have any carpeting or noise reduction, the posture-perfect chairs were just bolted to the metal floor, and you could look at the moving road through the gap in the gear shift. It was all the amenities we'd imagined from behind the Iron Curtain. Fortunately we only had to drive it for a couple of days before we were back in the German-engineered splendor of our VW Golf.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since this is America, maybe you could sue the car makers for your back aggrivation!

Dave D. said...

Kinda explains why the american auto industry is in the tank (well, that and the enourmous insurance packages...)

Anonymous said...

Please don't say "oy" anymore. It's just wrong.