Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ikea week concludes!

I know I called this Ikea week, and here I am after only three days concluding it. We'll just say that it was a Scandinavian work week and call it good.

Today I bring for your reading pleasure, a post from the first month that I'd created this blog. I wrote it when I first found out that Ikea was going to be building a store here in Portland. Let's grab hands and together stroll down memory lane...

Cue wavy special effect and time-travel sounds. A clock running backwards appears and flies straight at you. A calendar goes in reverse, eventually stopping on October, 2005... We're here, back in those halycon days of yesteryear... when gas was only $2.10 a gallon... Boris Yeltsin was still alive... and the national debt was only 9 trillion dollars... ah, the good old days.

October 25,2005--This week, Ikea announced that they will be opening a store here in Portland. I'm experiencing mixed emotions about it, though. On the one hand, I'm totally excited about the prospect of having Swedish meatballs and cheap lighting only a ten-minute drive away, but on the other hand, I'm not looking forward to everyone I know 1) knowing that our house is an Ikea catalog ad as seen in the movie Fight Club, and 2) will have the same stuff that we do. Right now, the closest Ikea is in Seattle--which is a big enough deterent to keep all but the elect from embracing the Ikea lifestyle. We drive up occasionally... ok often... but not that often... umm, anyway, I'll just say I know the route well. We've filled our house with chairs, tables, rugs, bedding, lighting, and decorations from the Disneyland for Adults that is the Seattle store. We've proselytized all our friends and family, extolling the benefits of, coolness obtained, and fulfillment possible from Ikea--and I'm proud to say that I've had a much better conversion rate than my proselytization in Norway. I'm at almost 100% conversion (I say almost, because even though one couple goes there every time they're in Seattle now, they still bristle at how consumeristic it is--classic self-loathing Ikeans). I get a warm feeling in my heart when people confide in me that they are having some home furnishing problem and I am able to get out a copy of the Ikea catalog and tell them "I've found answers in this book, and I know that if you browse through it, really ponder the design ideas that it shows, and follow the examples contained therein, your home problems will be solved, too." Following one trip to Seattle with Kelli, she left the store bearing her testimony of Ikea, saying, "I know that Ikea is true." It's stories like that that tell me that I'm helping change people's lives for the better. Now with a store in Portland, I'll go from being an Ikea missionary introducing people to its wonders to a pesky stake temple coordinator, encouraging people to go do something that can easily be put off--it will be like when a new temple is built--prior to that, people sacrifice to go hundreds of miles for the opportunity, but build one in their backyards and voila! they always have an excuse.

Well, the new store isn't slated to open until spring 2007, so I can wallow in my self-righteousness, er, I mean continue to proclaim the blessings that Ikea promises to all who visit with a non-maxed-out credit card.


Well, here it is--2007... the world of tomorrow! Isn't it GLORRRRRR-IOUS? I guess it's time for me to completely shift my persona and personality and start wallowing in self-righteousness. Man! I don't know if I have it in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Yes, you do.