Friday, June 22, 2007

State Quarters

Okay, I'm sure you all know about the state quarter program. Some of them have been hits, other horrible wastes of the metal they're cast from. Being a westerner, I've been anxiously awaiting what the last few states admitted to the union would submit for their designs. I had imagined that my home state of Idaho would have some mountain vista, our state flower the syringa, a wild river, or (gasp!) even an INDIAN. For Utah, I'd imagined a covered wagon, handcart, or maybe one of the arches in southern Utah. Well, all those hopes have been dashed to pieces, just like my dream of starring in an NBC sitcom.

Well, all these years of waiting culminated in this morning, when I got an Idaho quarter at Noah's Bagels and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I haven't been this underwhelmed since I saw the new and improved quilting on Bounty paper towels (despite all the hype on their commercials, it really wasn't that impressive). The quarter has a hawk on it... Yes, a frickin' BIRD! You've got to be kidding me! Even a potato would have been better. I mean, it's not like we're the only state in the union that has BIRDS! Geesh! Have you ever talked with someone and brought up Idaho only to have them ask, "Is that the state with hawks?" (Actually, more often it's "Is that the state with white supremists?") And to add insult to injury, they included the outline of the state with Boise starred. Once again, Boise gets all the glory while North Idaho just sits up there in obscurity (with our hawks and white supremists). And don't even get me started on the lame Utah design. At least the Wyoming one is cool.

No comments: