Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Last night, Margaret and I drove home from Idaho after a weekend visit with my family there. We ended up leaving town a little later than we'd planned and so by the time we reached Walla Walla, Washington, it was almost dark. I always hate the poorly marked signage in Walla Walla because I can never get on the right highway. Well yesterday was the worst so far! Coming in to town, I drove past what I thought was our exit, so I got off on the next exit and drove on city streets back toward what I thought was the other highway. We drove, and drove, and DROVE! Eventually we ended up on an old country road that went through farm fields. Occassionally we would see a farmhouse here and there, but not much in terms of civilization. I swear, a couple of times I could here the creepy banjo tunes from "Deliverance." Margaret was getting more and more annoyed that I hadn't stopped to ask directions, and I was getting more and more annoyed that I was being such a cliché. Fortunately we ran into a larger road right before the road we were on started ascending into the Blue Mountains, or we'd be one of those foolish couples who get stuck in the forest and end up resorting to cannibalism. We eventually made our way back to Walla Walla, where Margaret made me stop and SHE asked for directions. Needless to say I was WAY off--the exit I thought I had missed was several miles further down the road! I told Margaret that the whole ordeal should finally convince her that we need to buy a GPS system for the car. (She didn't buy it.)

2 comments:

Dave D. said...

GPS? BAH! get yourself a star chart and navigate by the heavens! "Let's see, Polaris is there..."

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of a map?