Monday, January 09, 2006

This weekend, Margaret and I were shopping for a baby present for my sister. We wanted to get something that she wouldn't be able to get in rural Idaho--something like a flush toilet or a touch-tone telephone. We decided instead to get some clothes (ok--you CAN get those in Idaho--but they're mainly the "swaddling" variety). There's a trendy shopping district here in town that is fun to look around in, but the trendy factor jacks up prices 112%. We went to a little children's clothing store where almost all the clothes are French. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a knit onesie for $120! Why would someone pay that much for something that the baby will grow out of in like 20 seconds, isn't formal enough for a christening or even Olive Garden, and most likely will poop all over? I guess it's for all the parents out there who think that, "there's nothing too good for our little Alexandra." What they don't forsee, though, is their little angel turning into a she-devil when they tell her they can't afford to send her to even a community college because they spent all their money on her baby clothes so their friends would feel inadequate.

I remember when I was in high school and HAD to have all my clothes brand-name. I bought a pair of Ralph Lauren Polo socks for something like $20 and my little sister (who was only 8 or 9 at the time) said, "WHAT! For $20, I'd just sew the logo on MYSELF!" Geesh--if I'd have listened to her words of wisdom then, I'd have saved a fortune over the course of the rest of my school years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of this from a guy who's first car was a caddilac, and who once brought caviar on a boy scout 50 miler?

Anonymous said...

High school, baloney! You make it sound like it was something you grew out of when you turned 16. I remember shopping with you at Nordstroms when you were in college and I could have bought a whole wardrobe on what you spent on 1 name brand shirt.

Jeremy said...

That's why I said school--I don't deny that I was pretty name-brand focused until after I had to start paying for my own expenses and not just blowing it all on clothes. Geesh--adulthood blows!