Monday, January 23, 2006

Wow! This morning, while casually enjoying my morning bagel at Noah's, who should I see eating there but SUPERMAN! A little boy, who couldn't have been more than 6, was having a bagel and juice with his red cape on. When I got closer, I noticed that he was wearing blue lycra running pants and over those, had on a pair of tighty-whitey underwear. It cracked me up that neither he nor his father acted as if anything were out of the ordinary. Maybe that's what I need to get myself going in the morning--although I think I'd dress up as Tarzan, because it would be a lot easier to put that costume together. (Although I'll wait until summer--not only is it too cold, but I'm so pale being that it's the middle of winter that people would think I was dressed up as Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Speaking of the King of the Apes, I remember one summer my brother and I were totally into pretending we were Tarzan. We ran around all summer in nothing more than running shorts. We would even wear them under our church clothes and one the way home unbutton our shirts and pants so the second we hopped out of the car we could fling our vestments of civilization to the ground and continue playing like we were Tarzan. One time, my brother and I were supposed to be helping doing some yardwork and we concocted a plan to impress our parents. Jarrod would hide, waiting for my signal, while I went to help mom and dad. When dad asked me where Jarrod was, since he was supposed to be helping, I said I didn't know, but would get him--at which point I cupped my hands to my mouth and gave a Tarzan yell. Hearing the signal, Jarrod ran out from behind some bushes. We thought that was pretty impressive, but dad just told us to stop horsing around and get to work. I wouldn't be surprised if he had to go "get something" afterward and have a good laugh, because now that I look back on the incident as an adult, I can't help but think how I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember, but that must have been a slow summer for me to let you talk me into that...:)

Anonymous said...

Tarzan would suggest that you have muscles, maybe you could go as Kate Moss.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I can totally use that technique next time I need to call you to the phone!