Thursday, February 09, 2006

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Today is the last day of my 34th year! I can't shake the suspicion that tomorrow I'll wake up in need of a walker, have to buy some Metamucil, and will request seasons 1-30 of Matlock from Netflix. So many experiences I've missed out on in my youth--I've still yet to taste of that sweet, sweet nectar alcohol, I've never snorted cocaine off a nightclub toilet seat, and I've never ripped one of those tags off a matress that you're not supposed to. Oh how I've never LIVED!

Well, on a more shocking note, get a load of this! Yesterday I helped put on a workshop and one of the people attended via video conference. This was pretty cool, as it was a test run of our new system. Prior to this, we had to actually attend in PERSON and that posed the risk of interacting with people--ugg (but at least we got good doughnuts). Well, the video attendee I guess was more used to conference calls (you know--the "meetings" where you just dial in, press mute on your phone, then play solitaire on your computer and when someone comes into your office to ask you to do something, you tell them, "sorry, I'm on a conference call"). The reason I say this is because during THE ENTIRE MEETING, we watched her as she SEWED!!! I guess she was listening to the meeting, but let me tell you how distracting it was to look over at the giant screen monitor to see someone get up occasionally to cut some fabric or unwind some thread, then go back to sewing something by hand. I thought that in the next segment, she'd move over to the test kitchen and whip up a duck confit with orange glaze. I think that when I use the system, I'll do that trick from the movie "Speed" where I'll tape myself looking interested for a few minutes, then send that loop over the video conference system--that way I can practice my dance moves while I'm in my "meeting" and no one will be the wiser--unless of course they're Dennis Hopper and he spots the jump at the loop seam where the can of Diet Coke that I hadn't been drinking at the beginning of the recording mysteriously disappears from the screen--then I'd have to make a daring escape so I could be around for the sucky sequel: "Meeting Zombies and the Quest for Krispy Kremes."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tomorrow you are gonna have to change your little monologue about yourself about your being "alost thirty-frickin-five" to a middle aged man....who enjoys his crosswords, prunes and Attends....

Jeremy said...

Thanks... at least I can rest well in the fact that you're only a year behind me! So next year imagine how much money we'll save when we can buy Depends in bulk at Costco!

Dave D. said...

Sad, so sad. You're giving me so much to look forward to in 2 months!