Friday, March 17, 2006

Jewish + Irish = Tasty!

This morning, Margaret and I went to... you guessed it... Noah's Bagels and guess what? In honor of St. Patrick's Day, they had Irish soda bread bagels! Nothing says Ireland like a Jewish bread product (although it WAS quite tasty). Since I'm neither Irish, nor Jewish, I didn't have any problems with the melding of the two cultures. I wonder what else we could get from the Jirish culture? Well, on second thought, that's not something we should unleash on the world--imagine the combined power of a Jewish mother's guilt and an Irish mother's guilt! It would be like the lasers on the Death Star combining to create a weapon powerful enough to destory an entire planet! We'd better stick to the Irish bagels!

Speaking of St. Patrick's Day, I saw the headline of this week's Weekly World News--now as germane as USA Today! The headline was: LEPER-CHAUNS: Has the luck of the Irish run out? I sure hope not--we're going out tonight with some Irish and I'm counting on them getting us quickly into places that mere Americans have to wait in line for--like the bathroom at the Irish pub downtown. Actually, I love the Weekly World News because that's EXACTLY the kind of writing I would like to do--I wouldn't need to fact check and I could be as over-the-top as I wanted. (Kinda like this blog--only MILLIONS of people would read it!) In Norway, I got in trouble for writing a satirical underground mission newsletter. My philosophy is if you can't laugh at something--like people's inability to laugh at something... or midgets (but only if they're doing something funny--otherwise that would be just wrong)... then you're taking life too seriously.

No comments: