Monday, March 06, 2006

This weekend, the gang here in Portland gave Margaret a belated birthday bash. It had the theme "Red Velvet," which meant the curtains were hung with, obviously, red velvet, there were red ribbons and streamers, and the coup de grĂ¢ce was the red velvet ice cream cake. It was frickin' AWESOME--plus, it gave us enough energy to dance until the wee hours of the morning, which is what we did when the party moved downtown. When we were driving some people home, they commented that they couldn't believe that I'd been out on the dance floor the whole evening. It must have been the 96 oz. of Diet Coke I drank before heading to the club.

Which reminds me of a time that Margaret and I were going downtown on the bus and the bus got stopped in a lot of traffic that wasn't moving at all. Finally, we just got off the bus, thinking we'd just walk the rest of the way--only a couple of blocks. Well, we ran into the lesbian parade that was part of gay pride week here in Portland, so we watched that and then went to the concert/dance on the waterfront afterward (which was much better than what we'd gone downtown to do in the first place--stop at The Gap). We had a great time, and the next day, sitting at church singing "I Believe in Christ" we had to laugh at what the other people in the congregation would think if they knew that just 24 hours earlier, we were singing and dancing with a bunch of gay pride revelers. Man I love Portland!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may have seen you dance at a ward dance 20 years ago which I don't remember, but for some reason the picture that comes to mind when thinking of you cutting a rug is Elaine dancing on Seinfeld.... Speaking of ward dances, do you remember at that one dance when I spotted the girl who was so not in my leauge walking up to ask me to dance so I pretended to be asleep? She must have stood there for 30 seconds asking me about 5 times if I would like to dance with her while I was pretending to snore a little bit to sell my interpretation of blissful slumber....I almost feel embarassed for her even now 20 years later...I can't remember exactly who it was, can you? I think it was either "CLUMP" or "Rumble Bee", Jeremy, you should know who I am talking about...