Monday, March 20, 2006

To have or not to have facial hair

This weekend, on a whim, I kept a goatee. Margaret is extremely indifferent about it, I think to walk the fine line of not letting me know that it secretly repells her but wanting to keep from hurting my feelings. When it grows out for a couple of days, I'll put a picture up and get feedback from the Internets. Until then, I'll have to just go it alone.

Actually, I'm lucky to be able to grow any facial hair. That's one thing I inherited from my European genes and not my Indian genes. My dad can get away with not shaving for a week and he just looks a little scruffy--I'm halfway to Grizzly Adams in the same amount of time. After we got in the car accident, I couldn't shave for a couple of weeks because of some burns on my face. When the burns finally healed, I shaved myself a handlebar moustache and completely freaked Margaret out. She wouldn't even look at me until I'd shaved it off. Talk about the veto power!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to GQ Magazine

Q: I’m a college senior [close enough for Jeremy], soon to enter the working world. I have begun to grow a mustache and was wondering what you, as well as employers in general, think of them. Faulkner, Einstein, Doc Holliday, Ron Burgundy, Alex Trebek—plenty of successful people have sported them. I know they are not as popular as they once were. Do women not think they’re cool or what? Should I shave it for job interviews?

A: My grandfather, the president of a medium-size industrial company, would never hire a guy with a mustache. A man with facial hair has something to hide, he would say. I wouldn’t have wanted to work for my grandfather, anyway. I wholeheartedly approve of mustaches, and I admire guys who are sporty enough to sport them. It has been my experience that many girls are not crazy about them, but there is a lovely minority of crazy gals who are tickled pink by them. A girl once told me she thought they were gay, but then I explained Catfish Hunter, Dan Quisenberry, Rollie Fingers, and Goose Gossage to her and she was relieved.

May 2005

Anonymous said...

Yeah you should keep growing it out and go for the Ron Jeremy look....